Sunday, December 18, 2011

VIDEO// Marina and the Diamonds: Part 3: The Archetypes


The third part to Marina and the Diamond's project 'Electra Heart' dropped recently, and a certain look of pleasant surprise erupted upon my face. I'll admit I'd never sat myself down and listened through the previous parts to this series of tracks, but after 'The Archetypes', I simply had to. For me part two (Radioactive) doesn't click like part three. A platform for a thought-provoking statement, this one minute raises more questions than the other songs combined. For those who don't know Electra Heart, she's a character who "epitomises and embodies the lies, illusions and death of American ideologies involved in the corruption of self." Marina stands against a crackling white backdrop as an electronic voice relays some truly engaging and muse worthy lyricism: "A study in identity & illusion / An Ode to Cindy". I am extremely impressed by 'The Archetypes'. Short enough to be an interlude of sorts, an illusive cosmic truth hides within the lines. "Through others, we become ourselves”. True?