Tuesday, September 20, 2011

NEWS// Rebecca Peake: Frightmare / Excessive Skin MP3


Synthpop has never been so dark as it is in Rebecca Peake's new number, 'Frightmare', as the title might suggest. Haunting vocals flit over a marsh of throbbing beats and creepy synths. A subtle build leads into a nightmarish chase, but however fast you run, nothing gets any further away. A fluctuating radio signal is scrambled half way through, confirming your complete loneliness. The vocals are layered on even subtler than before, and somehow, the sound is turned around into one of realisation and repentance, creating this vast spectrum of sound that I've come to love from Miss Peake. Keep up the great work!


Noise-pop isn't my favourite genre of all time, but when people do it well, I can't help but want to hear more. Another track from this wonderful woman does just that. Reverb and beeps and crackles detail the steady, unwavering beat.  After a while these simply amazing affected vocals come in. They've lost all hope, and are relaying their message with the very last of their breath. The noise and loudness and aggression of the backing track contrasts ever so well with the vocals on 'Excessive Skin'. A male voice does comes in, but I think I prefer those of the women. All I can say is that I'm looking forward to more!