Monday, August 1, 2011

Weekly Classics: Tracy Chapman: Why?

     Sorry for not posting this yesterday, but I got a bit enveloped in the Hot Vestry review and forgot. This week's classic is a number from Tracy Chapman's 1988 debut album, the vinyl of which my mother is privileged enough to own. Instead of picking one of the more well known tracks however, cue 'Fast Car' and 'Talkin' Bout A Revolution', I've decided to share one of my favourite songs, 'Why?'. The energy matched with the timeless lyrics makes for some of the best female-lead rock and roll ever recorded. Chapman's voice has that fascinating groove within it that feels so effortless, an attribute to any classic artist. Other outstanding sections to this album are 'For My Lover', with its fantastic confidence, and 'Behind The Wall', a song undeniably brilliant in its stark a cappella, but really the whole record is one worth treasuring. Listen to 'Why?' below and enjoy it!