Sunday, July 24, 2011

Weekly Classics: The Pixies: Monkey Gone to...

     First off, due to my being able to embed mp3s, the weekly classics segment is a lot less clunky, as I don't have to post a Youtube video. Also, this protects from the danger of the video owner removing it from Youtube or indeed from the blog itself. I've got a review lined up for later, but for now let's check this track out. 'Monkey Gone to Heaven' is my personal favourite from The Pixies' 1989 effort 'Doolittle', which has since been cited as one of the most influential records of all time. This was one of the first alternative albums I listened to, so this song and indeed the whole album, retains a certain nostalgic charm. From the gruff chorus to the deep vocals, the track is carried by an undeniably brilliant structure and inspired melody. So take three minutes off and have a gander at a classic.